How to Apply to a Japanese University

Here's a step-by-step guide for international students who want to apply to a Japanese university.

By 3 min read

After the overwhelming response to my previous article comparing the different education systems between the United States and Japan, I received a number of emails about how to apply to a Japanese university. Here is the step-by-step guide for international students applying for a degree program in Japan.

There are hundreds of private, public and national universities in Japan, and Japan has one of the most competitive admissions processes in the world. But how competitive would it be for foreign students? Do they also need to take the same tests Japanese students have to take?

Each university has a specific requirement, so it is best to start by visiting their respective websites, which should spell out exactly what documents you will need to submit and also follow up with the university international student center in Japan.

Admissions Procedure

Most Japanese universities offer a special entrance examination for privately financed foreign students. If you are receiving funding from Japanese government (i.e., monbusho), it is best to go to their website for specific instructions.

General eligibility for an undergraduate degree program for international students:

  • Have completed or will have completed 12 years of school education in your home country. You will need to submit a transcript.
  • You should not have any immigration issues, which may interfere with your entry into Japan or with your study in Japanese university.
  • You will take the examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU), which is administered by Japanese Student Services Organization

As for the application, some universities require a personal statement, the result of your Japanese language proficiency test and the result of your TOEFL score. Letters of recommendations are needed based on the university you will be applying to, so check with the university website.

Student Visa

Once you get accepted into a Japanese university, you will be asked to complete a certificate of eligibility form, a copy of unexpired passport, proof of funds, which demonstrates sufficient funds are available for your studies. Then the international student center at the Japanese university will submit your certificate of eligibility at the immigration authorities in Japan.

After you receive a certificate of eligibility from your Japanese university, you will need to visit the Japanese embassy in your home country and bring the following documents:

  • Application materials for your student visa
  • Passport
  • Student visa application form
  • One photo
  • Certificate of Eligibility (must be original)

For more information about the student visa visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website


The most important thing is to have all the proper immigration documents and get the visa situation straightened. The application process may seem tedious but the better prepared you are the faster it will go.

The next thing is to keep studying Japanese language. You will need at least N2 in order to keep up with lectures that are taught entirely in Japanese. For prestigious universities (waseda, keio, Tokyo university), you may be required to have N1.

Good luck and for any questions, please feel free to leave a comment.

  • Concepción Cuadra says:

    Can you explain me more about Certificate of eligibility?

  • N.KHACHUK Debbarma says:

    I have applied for EJU and TOEFL scheduled to be held in november and december respectively..I am from India and currently studying in grade 12,i looked up some website of universities like waseda, tokyo Institute of tech,Tokyo university,Tohoku,osaka etc for admision in molecular biology undergraduate program…none of the website sites about what subjects to be taken during the EJU scienc test and about the maths courses…so can you please help me out.

  • Ryujatamurai says:

    I wanted to ask a few questions…

    I am from Dubai and currently in high school (grade 11), i plan to be a surgeon and want to study medicine in Japan. But, will the medicine courses all be in English? It would be fun learning Japanese but it will also take a while just to know the basics of the language. I plan to waste no time in my early years as a student. please provide an answer.

    much appreciation.

  • a s chohan says:

    i am a japanies national completing my a levels abroad in english in 2017 how i can get admistion in japan in enginiering course (english)

  • Lubo Loach says:

    Hey, I’m 18 years old from England, I am going to be going to a language school in Japan for two years (i saved up the money to pay for this). After Language school I would like to go to an actual university in Japan, is it possible to get a student loan in Japan or is that not something the government does?


  • JPNfreak says:

    I’m 16 years old from Japan but now living in Finland cause my family’s circumstances. I moved to Finland about 8 years ago and I was thinking to move back in japan when I’m 18 or 19 because that is the time when I graduate from Finnish highschool. I was searching quite a while that witch Japanese university are good for me but I don’t understand a bit of there system. How they work? Many of Japanese university’s websites are explaining to foreign students how to apply to their universities but I’m not a foreign student and also I have Japanese passport. Am I foreign student? I don’t know what do and where exactly I can start? Also I can’t write or read kanjies only kanjies I can write and read are primary school level so I’dont know how can I manage. This is also huge problem for me. Please help me!! And I’m also aware of the cost.

  • Nihon Scope says:

    SEO doesn’t pass through disqus Google doesn’t even see the link.. just FYI 😀

  • Nihon Scope says:

    Dude from what I’m experiencing just getting into Fukuoka Japanese
    Language school I hope that getting into university well be easier..
    Also being I’m a horridly old person at the age of 31 I know I’m already
    going to get the looks. But I just finished apply for April 2017, I
    actually wrote a freak’n million word essay to get into school:
    …. then I found out I didn’t need to do it! Then at the same time I’m
    going through Go! Go! Nihon (com). They’ve never had someone my age,
    married, have their own business (sponsor both himself and his wife) and
    not have a High School Diploma (I got my GED)… Crazy stuff man! …how bout engage isn’t of delete bro?

  • pratik says:

    hello Im Pratik.
    I wanna study msc in English in Japan.
    So when should I apply for Japanese universities and what is the requirements for it?

  • Average Mom says:

    well I just contacted Tokyo university and they stated that you have to complete 12 years of education prior to university to prove that you need a total of 3 A-Levels, the grades doesn’t matter much since you are going to take an entrance exam anyway

  • Hayatē Ziro says:

    You might wanna have to do “A2″…. Because Japanese Universities need 12 years of education..

  • MG Raymundo says:

    Hi I’m from the Philippines and I’m currently 15 years old. I’m a high school student and I’m on my 10th grade. I’m planning on studying engineering and I want to study it at a university in Japan. In addition, i’d like to a admit for a scholarship because I’m not really rich. You may think that it’s still to early for me to inquire but if there is somebody that could brief me in the things that I should prepare, it will be much appreciated. Thank you.

    • YURI says:

      i have a idea that if u want admit into japan university there is only option and it is pretty easier….at first why dont u go to japan and get nationality in japan and there is many option(legal and illegal)..then try ur best to learn japan as soon as possible….and if u dont have money take part time job…….that is the easir way i think….ur first option is to go to japan and take any part time job and try ur best learn japanese and other stuff GAMBATTE KUDASAI

  • Rabin Shrestha says:

    Hello Yumi, I m from Nepali and want to study the B. com what shall i do

  • JainaBlade says:

    It’s okay ⌒.⌒ thank you so much for the detailed reply. I definitely understand how hard A-levels are X_X But I was wondering, if they don’t require a specific grade, do they require specific subjects or a 12 tear education or can a home schooled student take the EJU, pass it and get accepted? And is this EJU in Japanese or English @_@ Also, hope you did well on your exams *^^*

    • To apply for any universities in Japan, applicants are required to have
      completed or scheduled to complete education that corresponds to that of
      12 years in Japan.

      If you get A-Level of the British System, you will have completed education that corresponds to that of 12 years in Japan.

      On the first examination of Class-1 in Special Screening Test, we will
      make a thorough study of your grades of official high school transcripts
      for the last three years, your EJU and TOEFL scores(or IELTS scores),
      and your other test scores.

      After you passed the first examination, you will write an essay and have
      an interview both in Japanese as the second examination. The second
      examination will be held only in our university.

  • Yeah all the guides n stuff is in Japanese and some universities require form to be filled in Japanese. As far as I know they don’t set minimum or maximum grades u just have to pass at the Entrance Exams that’s what they (In my case UTokyo) told me for A-Levels. You will also need IELTS or TOEFL but If you are a native speaker of English u might have to ask about that. Happy to Help!

  • Lalioui Mohamed says:

    Hello Yumi I’m Lalioui from Morocco, I’m so pationnate about the japanese culture, I have always wanted to go to japan, I also want to study there in a university, currently I’m studying in an engeneering school here in Morocco, I already have my high school diploma, truth to be told I can’t afford going there, same goes for the unoversity fees so a schoolarship will be really helpful and once I get there I’m thinking of doing a part time job. So if any of you have some idea that could help me please notify me here is my adress: , thanks in advance

  • Efua Odafen says:

    Hello Yumi, what services would you recommend to beginners hoping to master the language?

  • Jocelyn says:

    Hi! I’m Jocelyn and I am a high school freshmen from Michigan of the United States. I know I have a long way a head before thinking about college. But, I swear I’d love to go to university of Tokyo it seems soo new and interesting to me. I honestly love the food and the music in Japan. Like, I love sushi, fish, and all that other stuff. I am also currently listening to crossfaith, cold rain, and of course one ok rock. They are the best Japanese American rock bands the I have ever heard. Anyway, I’d just love to go to Japan for collage can experience all the cool things there. I am already learning abit of writing and speaking in Japanese but, I’m still in the basics of the language. But, in the collages are there dorms on campus like America? Also, what other things should I know about Japan and their collages? I’d really, appreciate it a lot. Thank you.
    – the one and only Jocelyn Underwood (:

    Oh and P.S. Have a fantastic and 2016

  • Kita says:

    Hi, Everyone………
    I am currently doing my A-Levels and had done IGCSE….So, I wanted to ask does Japanese universities accept A-Levels and what are the minimum grades they accept? I am taking 3 Subjects in A-Levels Chemistry, Physics and Biology and I want to become a Doctor.
    Do japanese universities need TOEFL, IELTS or GRE?


  • Kita says:

    Hi, Everyone……….

    I would like to ask about Admission in a Japanese university (Requirements)…

    Right now I am doing my A-LEVELS and had done IGCSE… So, I would like to go to a Japanese university after I finish my A-LEVELS….. So, what are the minimum grades that would be accepted? (I have taken 3 subjects Chemistry, Physics and Biology and I want to become a Doctor)…. And do I have to give TOEFL, IELTS or GRE…

  • Zhuo Xin Yi says:

    Hello, I am Cindy from Singapore. I would like to ask, how many universities are you allowed to apply for as a foreign student? For example, from what I heard from my teacher, Japanese students are only allowed to apply to a maximum of 3 universities.


  • dceylon says:

    Hello!I’m Deepthi from Sri Lanka.I earned my bachelor of Arts degree in 2013 with GPA 3.54.I studied Japanese as a subject for my B/A. Also I got JLPT N2. Then I have been Japan for 2 years as a company worker.My visa category was as specialist in human./transnational services.I worked there as a translator & interpreter . At that time I had some harassment from my boss and I decided to leave Japan.I really need to go to Japan for my higher studies. For my ambition I searched so many scholarships but some of them asked about working experience in mother land and some of them was for international students who already study in Japan.Please some tell me how I can get a scholarship to a Japanese university for my Master degree.

    Thank you.

  • NK says:

    Hello! I was wondering how the transition between an American high school to a Japanese university worked. I know that high schools in the U.S. end in June but the universities in Japan (most of them) begin in April. So if I do get accepted to a Japanese university, do I just leave high school early or do I have to wait until April of the following year?

  • Maungil says:

    This was very helpful, thank you so much. However, I need help finding the applications. On all of the websites I’ve been on so far they only give us admission advice and list of requirements but I cannot seem to find a place to acquire their application to apply for their school. Does this mean that I have already missed the deadlines or am I just not looking in the right place? Do all universities in Japan require an application? I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know ASAP. Thanks so much again!

  • Steven Yang says:

    I currently have a B.SC. and looking to get a second bachelors in Japan for IT. My question is, will the process still be the same? i can’t seem to find the right keywords to put on google.

  • Josh Evans says:

    I am so nervous about doing this now, I didn’t do very well in school could this affect my chances?

  • Jack McNamara says:

    Yes! If there could be an article about the G30 program soon, that would be great!! Things like 1st hand experience or 2nd hand knowledge of the program, it’s reputation, etc.

  • LunaticNeko says:

    Some more tips from grad student. I come to Japan “as a feral”: no scholarship, no financing, limited assistance, no Japanese language experience, and with other problems

    Language: Instead of TOEFL, some universities require TOEIC score which is easier and less restrictive. If you’re applying for non-International or non-English-program courses, you WILL need JLPT N1, which is remarkably harder than everyday (or specific-field academic) Japanese.

    Time frame: If you’re taking an exam privately (non-“program” stuff), you might be joining in something I would call “third round examination”. I don’t know about other universities, but in mine it’s on March, and the school year starts April. You have about three weeks from results announcement to beginning of school term to prepare visa documents. Time yourself well so you don’t need to rush or request expedition of your paperwork, which can incur fees or get nasty.

    Level of Japanese for Privately-Financed International Programs: Since you’re a feral rogue here and you may not need Japanese to do homework, they don’t give a damn about your communication. Ditch JLPT exams, you don’t need that. You need real conversational skills. Find out how to open bank accounts, credit cards, rent a home, send letters, etc. (GaijinPot of course helped me a lot!) If they offer senior natives to be your guides, then you’re in luck. If they don’t, find someone to help you.

    • Kaku Harikēn says:

      Do Japanese universities accept A-Levels??

    • Yumitolesson says:

      Hello! That is very interesting. the information posted in my article is based on the national university’s guidelines and requirements but I am sure that private universities have different guidelines and if you are attending Japanese university with your own funding, they have less restrictive requirements. I agree with you that JLPT N1 is extremely difficult even for native Japanese speakers. 🙂

  • Gaijinn says:

    You really have to figure important part by yourself. Although article and website gives you general idea. (Currently in japan,going to apply for university masters course in April). Even if you have Top class japanese you cannot get to top/National universities in Japan(unless you are exceptional student). I suggest getting a guarantor which is again is difficult part if you dont know any japanese people.

    • Yumitolesson says:

      that is very true. Getting into Japanese national universities is extremely difficult and although the universities offer different exams for foreign students, it is still extremely challenging to keep up with classes taught in Japan.

  • Benny says:

    For anyone interested in studying in Japan without having previously studied Japanese as a requirement, check out the G30 initiative



How To Use Music To Improve Your Japanese Language Level

Using music as way to learn Japanese is an easy and unique way to increase your pronunciation, vocabulary and reading skills. It's also a lot of fun!

By 4 min read


Testing Times: Preparing For The JLPT Exam

The final step in your Japanese language journey is mastering the dreaded JLPT 1.

By 5 min read


Where to Study Japanese in Japan

Deciding on where to study in Japan is a difficult decision. Both the big cities and the small towns have their pros and cons.

By 3 min read